Thursday, July 17, 2014

Metatron's Cube and the Platonic Solids

There are many nuances about Sacred Geometry that I could not get into with my project.  To keep it interesting and free from clutter, I had to make sure to limit what I wanted to say, though, I think this helped me to create something more meaningful.  Putting in too much would only have distracted from what should be a fun, informative infograph.

I knew I wanted to do an infograph, which is a sort of “I need to scratch this itch” kind of deal. I love to produce art when there is a purpose to and here was a great opportunity for me to do so. A simple infograph is what I ended up with, though there were certainly many challenges.

Oh Adobe Illustrator you dog!  I had planned on using Easel.ly, yet right when I was about to start, I decided to peruse the campus Mac I like to use and saw to my great surprise and delight that it has the program, Adobe Illustrator.  I had never used Illustrator, though I knew of its capabilities, and once the thought entered my mind I could not shake it.

Part of the problem with having such capability is that I now had the option to create every bit of the project. And, having never used the program before, much of my time involved figuring out just how to do what I wanted to do. I had to do it though once I set my mind on it. This added more time to the project, but it opened up the ability for me to do exactly what I wanted. The program is great! I suggest
using it.

So, I had to limit what I might have said with this infograph. There is just SO much to talk about with Sacred Geometry. All I knew was that I wanted to talk about the Platonic Solids, and originally was going to incorporate into it a talk of the Flower of Life. This is not exactly the conversation I ended up having.  I used something called Metatron's Cube, which is derived from part of the Flower of Life, called the Fruit of Life. The Platonic Solids can be seen within this mysterious cube. What I decided to focus on I think worked much better than a conversation about the Flower of Life, and I put together something I hope everyone can relate to and can find interest in.  You will notice part of the Flower of Life as the background, and the keen observer will notice that the dimensions of the infograph are quite close to the Golden Ratio.

Many religions talk about 5 elements. They are not all the same, though mostly they all include the 4 main ones: fire, earth, air, and water. I have seen the fifth being metal or wood, but what I chose to look at was from the Ayurvedic tradition, whose fifth element is the mysterious ether.

I could not fit a short description I had prepared about this connection to the Ayurvedic tradition in my infograph, so here I will. Ayurveda is a traditional Hindu medicine practice. In the Hindu religion, medicine and spirituality go hand in hand. Ayurvedic medicine, along with yogic practice, seeks to balance the body and mind. Within the Ayurvedic belief, these elements are considered fundamental because all that we can think of that exists in some way incorporates these five elements. Surely chemists scoff at this notion of “elements,” as was shown to me through my research, but the idea is not that they correlate with our chemical elements of our periodic table. The idea of these sacred elements is more of a general sense of relationship. Besides the characteristics I talked about, they represent the 4 states of matter – solid, liquid, gas, and plasma – and the “grid” upon which matter exists – the ether. "The body and mind."


Below are the websites I used to gather my thoughts and gain insight into how I wanted to create this project.




And this last link is a fun (at least for me) video, giving a look at Metatron's Cube:


No comments:

Post a Comment